Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lost Dog

Saturday night around 8:00 I decided to go on a quick jog around the neighborhood with my dog Pacer. We usually end up on a closed road that runs along side a wooded area. When we get to this part of the run I let her off the leash. Pacer usually stays right by me but on occasion will go exploring. Most of the time she stays within sight and when I call her she comes running to me.
But last night was a different story. She was checking out something near the line of trees and when I called her name it was like she didn't even here me. Whatever she was investigation was a lot more important than her owner calling her name to come. Next thing I know, she bolts into the woods (to thick for me to get into). I kept calling her name and walking up and down the street to no avail. It was getting dark so I ran back home to get Mike. Mike immediately jumps into the car to find her. I waited outside our house just in case Pacer found her way back home.
While Mike searched the area (which includes the toll road behind our house) I freaked out at home! About 5 minutes later, I get a phone call on my cell but I didn't recognize the number. It was the number to the family who found Pacer about 10 houses down from ours. Pacer was on her way home but the family saw her walking in the street and thankfully called us!

So kudos to our neighbors, the person who invented engraved dog tags, and a dog smart enough to try and return home! Needless to say, Pacer will not have a lot of freedom our next run by the woods!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I am glad you found your dog. We have met a lot of people in our neighborhood because our dog likes to explore during storms. She freaks out and has figured out every way we have tried to keep her in. She always been found and I am grateful for that. :)

Unknown said...

There's nothing like the feeling of your dog running at large. Ours was found on Universtiy Dr. in College Station! At least you found her fairly quickly. Hey, will you sell our Honda for us?! Sounds like you're the golden child of resale.